|The sugar and nuts caramelise nicely with this loaf|
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 cup chopped walnuts (could substitute pecan nuts)
100g butter or margarine
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cups chopped dates
1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
2. Place dry ingredients in a bowl.
3. Add walnuts and mix through.
4. Combine butter, sugar, water and dates in a saucepan.
5. Stir over medium hear until sugar has dissolved and butter has melted.
6. Cool slightly and then add dry mixture.
7. Add egg and stir until combined.
8 Spoon into 1 loaf tin
9. Cook for approximately 40 - 45 minutes.
This loaf is great served with butter.