• 3 good sized chokos (chayote), peeled and chopped
• 2-3 rashers bacon (or substitute) finely chopped
• 1 large onion peeled and finely chopped
• 3 tablespoons of uncooked rice
• 3 chicken stock cubes (or vegetable stock)
• 6 cups water
• 2-3 teaspoons curry powder
• salt and pepper
• Saute bacon and onion
• Stir in rice, bacon and chokos
• Add stock cubes and water (or 6 cups of chicken/vegetable stock)
• Add salt and pepper to taste
• Simmer until choko is soft (approximately 30 minutes)
• Allow to cool then puree with a blender
|Enjoying Choko Soup|
Savoury Muffins with Mushroom Plant, Basil, Sundried Tomato & Cheese
2 cups self raising flour (fresh is best)
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups tasty cheese and a 1/3 cup extra
1/4 cup sundried tomato, drained and coarsely diced
mushroom plant (young leafy tips)
1/4 cup toasted pine or macadamia nuts
1 cup milk
80g butter, melted
1 egg, lightly whisked
• Preheat oven to moderate 180 degrees C. Lightly spray a 12 hole muffin tray with oil.
• Sift flour and salt together into a large bowl.
• Stir in cheese, tomatoes, basil & mushroom plant mix, and nuts
• In a jug combine milk, melted butter and whisked egg.
• Make a well in the centre of the dry ingrediaents. Add milk mixture all at once. Mix lightly until just combined.
• Spoon mixture evenly into prepared muffin tray and sprinkle with extra cheese.
• Bake 20 to 25 minutes until cooked when tested with a skewer.
• Cool in tray for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack.
Leela's Finger Sandwiches
• Delicious local 'Hearthfire' Spelt Bread topped with avocado, lettuce and cooked slices of capsicum.
Our perennial capsicum bushes are still fruiting. Avocados are hanging on our trees and will ripen after picking.
Our workshop group worked on streamlining our seed packet labelling and providing more information on the packets. We have also placed some resources (see the new page link at Home) and will list our group's immediate goals on the blog under the Seed Savers Network Aims.
Linda's Orange & Cardamom Biscotti
3 egg whites
1/3 cup caster sugar
2/3 cup plain flour
Zest 2 oranges
½ cup blanched almonds
|Linda's Orange & Cardamom Biscotti|
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
Optional: 1 teaspoon of Orange Liqueur
Preheat oven to 180’
Grease & line a loaf tin
Whip egg whites until stiff then gradually whisk in sugar
Gently fold in flour, zest, almonds, cardamom and Orange Liqueur.
Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from tin and cool on rack.
When loaf is cold, slice into thin slices, spread on a baking tray and bake at 140’ for 15 minutes or until slices are crisp.Cool and store in an airtight container.
|Jeff's Moist Chunky Banana & Sultana Cake|